ST. PETER, Minn. C The Gustavus men’s soccer team is set to close out theregular year or so with a Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Achieving matchup versus Macalester College Thursday afternoon during senior time.
The Gusties (12-5 overall, 6-3 MIAC) will take on the Scots (10-4-2, 7-2 MIAC) at 1 p.m. at Gustie Soccer Field.
With victory over Macalester, Gustavus would earn the Hardly any. 2 seed in the MIAC 2010 nfl playoffs. With a tie, the Gusties could receive the No. 3 seedling, and a loss would lead to Gustavus receiving the No. 4 seeds.
Last time out
Coming into Tuesday’s matchup at Hamline, the Gusties had already challenging a spot in the MIAC Playoffs. A strong overtime goal by Alex Wilson (Sr., Ashland, Wis.) gave Gustavus any 1-0 victory over the Pipers to help a Black and Gold secure a home playoff matchup. Wilson scored their third goal of the season at the 99th minute, heading in the game-winner down a pass from Shiny Gibbons (Fy., Minneapolis, Minn.). Goalkeeper Matt Bateman (Jr., Savage, Minn.) tallied six saves for you to record his fifth shutout of year.
A special tribute is made to individuals who have dedicated themselves to help Gustavus men’s soccer for the past four years. This year, the athletic section, Head Coach Mike Middleton, a coaching staff, parents and fans salute the five older persons who have represented the Gustavus to locate soccer program with delight and class throughout their collegiate employment. This year’s group of seniors features John Anderson (Maplewood, Minn.), Alex Wilson (Ashland, Wis.), Brad Williams (Andover, Minn.), Matt Murakami (Eden Prairie, Minn.), along with Clark Hickman (Merrifield, Minn.).
- Arthur Parens (Jr., Wayzata, Minn.) is the leading scorer inside the MIAC with 12 goals in addition to three assists for 29 points.
- Parens’ four game-winners and 56 shots both rank 3 rd best in the conference.
- Goalkeeper Matthew Bateman is tied for following place in the conference together with 63 saves. Bateman has started just about all 17 games in goal and notched his fifth shutout of the year on Tuesday, which is a career-high total.
- The Gusties currently have scored the second most goals in the conference with 34 on the season.
Macalester match up information and facts:
- Saturday’s matchup marks the 62nd all-time interacting with between the Gusties and the Scots, along with Gustavus owning a 39-15-7 series advantage. Final season, Macalester defeated the Gusties 1-0 throughout overtime at Gustie Soccer Industry.
- After going unbeaten in four conference games, the Scots of late dropped a 2-1 decision compared to Saint John’s University on Tuesday.
- With a good 7-2 conference record, Macalester sits during second place in the MIAC standings with 21 points, hoping to clinch the No. 2 seed having a win over the Gusties.
- Junior Colton Wenig ranks as among the top goalkeepers in the seminar, ranking first with a 4.49 goals against average, along with the second best save percentage at .837.
- Senior midfielder Jake Burke is the crew’s leading scorer with four targets and six assists on the seaso